Thursday, June 23, 2016

Retreating

18 Ramadhan 1437

The past two weeks or so here at Maison KL have felt like something of a retreat for me, a pulling away from the world to rest and look inward. That doesn't mean I haven't been doing anything at all, but it does mean I haven't felt stretched or challenged in any distinct manner. It's a privilege to be able to experience fasting in this context, but I'm happy to leave these comfortable circumstances behind in the knowledge that discomfort is a mighty useful thing, and part of the point of the discipline of the fast.

And in extremely wobbly connection with the above reflections, I'm just hoping the England squad don't regard the game with Iceland as a comfortable way to move into the last eight. If they do I suspect they'll come unstuck. Watching Iceland battle their way through their group has been almost as pleasurable as following the progress of Leicester to their unlikely triumph.

No comments: