Monday, July 4, 2022

In The Flow

It's been a long time since I've been involved in running rehearsals for a production for the stage - and it will continue to be so. We got clearance for public performance a little back, but too late to actually take advantage of the return to something like normality (essentially due to budgetary constraints - too complicated to explain.) However, we're busy preparing for something we'll put out on film and the biggish scale means this one is starting to feel like something being worked on for the stage. The most recent rehearsals have felt uncannily close to what we'd normally be up to for live performance, to the extent that I've sometimes had to check myself commenting on likely vocal audience reactions and how they might affect pacing.

I hadn't forgotten the fact that I deeply enjoy such rehearsals - despite the work involved - but it was good to feel that depth again. To be honest I can't quite figure out what I find so rewarding, other than the simple pleasure of watching good work from talented performers - but I don't try too hard to think it through, preferring just to sit back and enjoy the experience. I suppose I achieve something close to what psychologists think of as a state of flow. Lucky me.

No comments: