Friday, July 15, 2022

Blast From The Past

Came back this afternoon and played Nick Drake's Pink Moon. Started to imagine what it might have been like to have watched him live, a privilege I was never granted. Suddenly the name Jonathan Kelly popped into my head, a singer songwriter I did see live all those years ago, as a solo performer, supporting The Strawbs. In contrast to the famously shy Nick Drake, Mr Kelly really knew how to work an audience in addition to being an excellent singer and player.

It occurred to me that I'd been so impressed I'd gone and bought his latest album, which was no small matter when I was dirt poor. (I was around sixteen at the time.) I also realised that I'd played that album to death and come to know it really well. In fact, I'd learnt a couple of the songs from it. Yet I couldn't remember the title and had no memory at all of a single song.

So it was YouTube time and I duly found Twice Around the Houses, the disk in question. Good stuff. With better luck I reckon Jonathan Kelly could have been quite a star. I also reckon I had pretty good taste in music at sixteen - which I suppose helps account for my impeccable taste these days. 

No comments: