Friday, July 22, 2022

Filling The Gaps

Here's an odd thing. I've been a bit of a fan of J.S. Bach since the earliest days of my discovery of 'serious' music in my twenties. I 'got' the Brandenburg Concertos right away, for example, and loved the Passions from the get-go. But for reasons that completely escape me I've never sat down to listen to the cantatas and never heard one performed live.

Recently I've been putting that right simply because various of the cantatas have been cropping up in my YouTube feed. For once the algorithm got it right. Just blasted my ears with the four glorious minutes of BMW 50 Nun ist das Heil und die Kraft. The world is now officially a better place.

(Hope I got the title right, by the way. I haven't a clue what it means, or what they're singing about.)

No comments: