Monday, January 24, 2022

Staying Alert

Prompted by one of my students recommending I listen to Sufjan Stevens's Fourth of July, a track I know very well, from Carrie & Lowell, I went on a mild SS binge over the weekend. Was very happy I did so, and quite startled to realise that I really don't know the material on The Avalanche (the outtakes album from the wonderful Illinois set) as well as I thought I did. This means I'll need to revisit the CD over the next week or so, a welcome diversion from the routine, I must say.

I suppose this is why I remain generally committed to listening to CDs, rather than going down the streaming route, apart from simple inertia-cum-laziness. The act of really getting into a CD forces something like concentrated listening, which brings its particular rewards. I suspect the ease of streaming might result in lazy listening, for this audient at least.

No comments: