Monday, January 17, 2022

Random Play

In recent months I've figured out how to play the iTunes stuff I've downloaded on the car's stereo system. Quite a step forward for me, by the way, and I did it on my own without any help from my various IO Consultants (Unpaid.) But it was only over the weekend that I started to play stuff in random mode rather than playing an album at a time.

The effect of this on my hearing was revelatory. Not quite knowing what was coming seemed to make me focus twice as hard as usual and recognise more intensely the qualities of what I was hearing as it seemed so fresh. There was also the curious joy attendant upon some strange juxtapositions.

Here's the list of performers/composers that leapt out at me in a random sequence on Sunday morning: Toru Takemitsu ↦ Van der Graaf Generator↦ Ennio Morricone ↦ Richard Thompson ↦ Malcolm Arnold ↦ Joni Mitchell. Must say, I'm pleased at the oddness of that list.

No comments: