Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Getting Started

Unusually busy day today due to the odd coincidence of several overlapping but separate concerns coming ferociously together. The four main ones: busy meeting a new form class, as it is known here, with the attendant admin stuff to attempt to cover; very busy day on my timetable of actual lessons to teach up to 3.00 pm; busy giving out IB exam results to my form class from last year with the attendant admin stuff to deal with; busy having to get to the airport (fortunately after 3.00), to pick up new scholars from Vietnam and dealing with all the airport regulations about picking in-coming passengers up, then installing the guys in safe quarantine back at the ranch.

It took a looong time at Changi Airport waiting for the new guys to get through all the testing on arrival, so a late finish to the day was guaranteed - though Noi and myself enjoyed a nice cuppa waiting for the flight from Hanoi to touch down. (Then she went back home leaving me to it in line with the rules on minimising contact with those arriving from overseas.) The funny thing was that the airport staff and folks involved in all the ushering and testing were incredibly helpful despite the system being, understandably, very, very strict so it was impossible to feel any irritation. Indeed, it struck me that quite a few of these had had busier days than yours truly if truth were told.

I suppose in a vague way I enjoyed most, if not all, of the day - but I'm hoping that things calm down soon. I'm definitely getting too old for this!

No comments: