Saturday, January 8, 2022

In Action

It proved very easy indeed to fulfil my resolution for the new year to Keep Moving on returning to work. Frantic movement characterised last Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. This was by no means a bad thing since the gym remains closed, so moving around my place of work provided necessary exercise. These days my handphone is smart enough to count my steps, and these are the numbers for those days: 13,937, 10,025, 8,919, 13,430. Not exactly spectacular figures, but indicative of covering a reasonable amount of ground, and you'll just have to trust me when I tell you this was generally done at a fair rate of knots. Also, I've got the stats for flights climbed each day, which goes some way further to explaining why I felt thoroughly cream-crackered yesterday evening: 24, 19, 21, 30.

I should add that in previous years there have been far more frantic days. I know that sometimes when I've been directing productions I've clocked something like 18,000 steps and 34 flights climbed for a week or so at a time. The funny thing is that at those times I've rarely felt extreme tiredness. I suppose I must adjust to the pace as a year goes on - thankfully so.

I should also add that, despite the above, I'm no great believer in the stats involved. It's how you feel inside that counts. But biggish numbers can be comforting in their way.

No comments: