Sunday, January 2, 2022

Making Connections

In a post from mid-November I mention embarking on a reading of the 10 plays in Connections 2012, sensibly talking about taking the volume slowly. And that's exactly what I did, though I had in mind a completion date before the new year. Well, I'm happy to report that I managed to read the final play before December was out.

This volume turned out to be somewhat more varied in terms of the backgrounds of the various plays than Connections 2013, since the dramas were commissioned under the banner 'Ten Plays about the World' according to the editors. Thus, I was hoping that I might well come across something that my drama guys might tackle in public performance - but this was not to be. However, I enjoyed the diversity of material (typical of this series from the National Theatre) and I am wondering whether we might be able to use Meera Syal's brilliant Generation Next as a kind of template for a piece of our own. (Shameless ripping off is what I have in mind, I'm afraid. But, hey, this is Theatre and what worked for the Bard is fine by me.)

No comments: