Friday, September 10, 2021

Gripped

I've been reading Stephen King's The Outsider over the last couple of days; indeed, it would be fair to say that I've been racing through it, to some degree against my better judgement. I'd like it to last longer, but I really need to know how it ends.

What a strange talent King possesses. You could try and analyse it, I suppose, but his ability to tell a story that grips because you actually care about the people the story is happening to seems to escape cold-blooded analysis precisely because there is something warm and alive about it.

I suppose I found mid-period King a bit tiresome, as if I knew all the tricks and was just content to play along with something that didn't entirely convince. I'm thinking about stuff like Needful Things and From a Buick 8. But since Full Dark, No Stars the Master has been firing on all cylinders and I, for one, am blown away.

No comments: