Sunday, September 26, 2021

A Matter Of Interest

Something else I'm feeling a wee bit guilty about. Despite the problems the pandemic has caused for so many, and the sheer misery it has heaped upon more than a few heads, I can't help but find the situation, in both international and its more localised aspects, deeply interesting. The last year and three-quarters have provided a gripping education in epidemiological terms and, I suppose, extraordinary insights into human behaviour at its worst and, sometimes, best.

Above all it's the indeterminate nature of what we know and understand regarding how to protect ourselves from the threat of the virus that strikes me as furthering a healthy sense of human limitations, despite our occasional successes in limiting its ill effects. I talking to Noi earlier this evening about what we might expect this time next week regarding the spread of infections on these shores and what that might mean for future steps towards some kind of return to normality. My guess, for what it's worth (very little, I'm afraid), is we'll see over 3,000 cases a day by then. That's going to be terrible news for some, and will inevitably have terrible effects for others, but, paradoxically, might make re-connecting with the world easier in the long run.

No comments: