Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Extremes

Came across a great interview with Pete Townshend talking at some length about his mate and (possibly) the greatest rock bassist ever, John Entwistle. I thought I knew a fair bit about what made The Ox such an extraordinary musician but I realised there was an awful lot about what he brought to The Who that I didn't grasp.

I couldn't help but think of how extraordinary it was that this amazingly talented musician was also a more than capable artist (as you can see if you check out his cartoons for the cover of Who By Numbers.) And I then couldn't help but think of how sad it was that, over time, his demons got to him, especially the ones that come out of a bottle.

Which brought one final, cliched thought/question to mind: Is it the case that those blessed with unreal levels of creative ability pay a price for that in terms of the demons/daemons that drive them? Cliched, yes, but for me fascinating - and sad - to consider.

No comments: