Thursday, September 16, 2021

A Sour Taste

Noi has been following a series, one of her Malay dramas, on the Sensasi channel, now at Episode 40, regarding which she's been unusually vocal in complaining about the various characters' behaviour. I haven't really followed much of what's going on (no subtitles, so I struggle a bit) but I do get her general point that there's little if anything to admire about the folks on display and the way they go about their lives. Everyone seems reasonably well-off (a lot of nice houses and interiors on display) but they all seem so sour somehow.

It's a fine distinction to make but I think there's a considerable difference between those who deal with the world with a kind of enjoyably bracing cynicism and those who just seem to want to pull their faces over every little thing. You really wouldn't want to spend time mixing with the characters from the show; indeed, I'm not exactly sure it's wise to spend too much time viewing their exploits. Forty episodes strikes me as more than enough - perhaps thirty-nine too many?

No comments: