Saturday, August 28, 2021

Wise Conservatism

As I mentioned the other day I find being intelligently contradicted in my basic assumptions very useful. It isn't necessarily the case that I abandon those assumptions, but when I hold to them it's usually with greater depth and nimbleness of thought - or, at least, I hope it is.

Generally I'd characterise my political leanings as being of the liberal if not outright leftish variety. So it's important to me to be exposed to those of the opposite leanings who've obviously thought their positions through in impressive detail. I'd classify Prof Ed Feser - whose philosophical writings I've long admired and benefitted from - as one of those thinkers. When he writes of contemporary American politics on his blog I think I can see his weaknesses, to be honest, though I'm a bit hesitant to say so given his cutting clarity when it comes to his critiques of those who don't share his way of thinking. But when he examines the best traditions of conservative thought he's unbeatable.

A recent post on Confucian thought is a case in point. His exposition of the Sage's ideas struck me as masterly and, as he argues, apposite to our own troubled times.

No comments: