Saturday, August 14, 2021

Three In A Row

When I posted the other day on the excellent couple of poems that recently featured in Carol  Rumens's Poem of the Week series I was mistaken in saying that this week's poem was the powerful I guess it was my destiny to live so long by June Jordan. I noted this on Monday but by Tuesday it had been superseded by William Logan's Leaf Color. And here's the thing: Leaf Color turned out to be another strikingly powerful poem. And here's another thing: until I read the poems I'd not heard of these three fine writers. Which tends to support my thesis that we live in a golden age for poetry.

Funnily enough it turns out that Mr Logan is an especially trenchant critic of modern poetry and he doesn't think much of most contemporary verse. Well, he's entitled to his opinion, even if he is wrong. 😃

(By the way, another poem that provoked many excellent comments below the line. If you don't quite get anything about Ms Rumens's choices you can always rely on Idowu Omoyele for clear and perceptive explication and analysis.)

No comments: