Friday, August 13, 2021

A New Beginning

I'm so used to thinking of the football season starting when the cricket is over and the summer is ending, as in days of yore, that I was sort of taken by surprise listening to Sky News earlier when they featured the Premier League making its start over this weekend even though I sort of knew this was the case (since I'd followed the Charity Shield game.)

But I must say I was delighted that my favourite news channel chose to feature the newly promoted Brentford and the issue of racism in the game in a well-crafted report. Funnily enough Peter and I had been chatting about Brentford and others of the less-glamorous teams earlier in the week and bemoaning the fact that they don't any real coverage over here. (Today's Straits Times featured just the big four - and brief references to Leicester and Spurs.)

Even though I support the greatest team in the world, I'm aware of the fact that the success of the game depends upon the Brentfords  and Swindons of this world. (Swindon being Peter's team. Poor chap. Hah!)

No comments: