Sunday, August 15, 2021

A Crooked Man

Senget, was the pithy pronouncement of my back doc yesterday, as he studied my spine from behind and asked me to perform the usual bending movements. The word, from Malay, means something like 'crooked' or 'out of alignment'. It seems I'm a bit higher at the moment on the right, which no doubt connects in some dark way to the pains I've been feeling in my left leg.

The great thing is, though, that the pains have entirely gone. In fact, I didn't take any medicine at all throughout Friday just to check that it wasn't the tablets controlling the pain. However, my doc thinks it would be efficacious to take another week's medicine, I suppose to see if I can completely straighten up, which seems a good idea to me. Actually, I awoke on Saturday with a distinct sense of stiffness in my lower back, a place that hadn't been troubling me that much before.

So I'm not out of the woods yet, to throw in another metaphor, but I reckon I'm near the perimeter. It's my ambition to get back to the gym, but only when I'm sure it'll do me no harm. (To be honest, I'm not sure we're allowed in at the moment, given the recent measures related to the pandemic, so this is hardly an urgent issue.)

2 comments:

Simon said...

Hi Brian - Judy recently had a pretty painful experience with sciatica and when she went to a physio in Stockport (who had been recommended to her) she had the exact same diagnosis as yourself (holding herself out of line). Anyway after some fairly severe manipulation by said physio she has had a somewhat miraculous recovery and is visibly walking straighter. So there is light on the horizon! She was getting pretty worn down with the pain - being kept awake at night etc. so you have our sympathy with it!

Brian Connor said...

Hi Simon - I'm replying to this impossibly late - more than a year later. But it's great to read of Judy's recovery. These things come & go weirdly, but it's good to know they generally do go eventually. Hope she's stayed well since!!