Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Something Old, Something New

In a quiet sort of way I suppose I regard myself as a bit of an expert on the progressive music scene of the early 70's. So why is it that, whilst having heard of Magma and having some sense of what kind of band they were (and are) I'd never actually heard any music from them until today? I suppose the fact that I didn't have much money at that time in my life played some part in the formation of this rather alarming gap - it certainly limited the range of what I could afford to purchase. And possibly the way in which my tastes turned away from the weirder edges of the music scene as I grew out of adolescence, such that by the time I did have a bit of spare cash I wasn't going to spend it on anything quite so arcane.

But listening to the band in question performing one of their most well-regarded pieces today, I have to say I feel a bit of fool for not listening to them before. Weird, yes, but in the best of ways. They're simply brilliant.

Odd to be discovering something that was always there for me, at my age.

No comments: