Sunday, July 28, 2019

Transformation

I studied King Lear for 'A' level and I've taught it in the classroom for several years. I suppose I'd say it was my favourite play, if that term means anything. I certainly can't think of any other play with quite the same power. Yet I've never actually seen it 'live' in the theatre. In fact, I think I've only ever watched two productions of it (both on telly) all the way through: the BBC version with Michael Hordern as the mad king, and the Olivier version done for tv a few years later. That is, until today. I've just come back from watching one of those National Theatre filmed versions they show at the Esplanade starring Ian McKellen in the titular role (which I think he played a few years back in the same theatre, and which I missed then due to bad timing and tickets running out.)

I thought highly of the BBC version, in which Hordern was typically excellent. If I'm not mistaken it was directed by Jonathan Miller and he rendered a very straight reading of the play, but did so with genuine depth. I wasn't as impressed with the Olivier version - which garnered a heck of a lot of publicity at the time. I remember it as a fairly stodgy version, though Olivier was excellent and I was moved, as always.

Today's experience of watching the play put previous viewings well into the shade. Sir Ian was just astonishing, which I kind of expected, but the whole production was brilliant, taking many, many chances with not a dud moment (or a dull one.) A powerful, strident Cordelia, a female Kent, the Fool as something close to a comedian from a working man's club. It sounds gimmicky, but everything worked. A play I've had in my head since I was seventeen suddenly became something new, yet recognisable, something rich and strange and achingly familiar at the same time.

No comments: