Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Just Listening

Odd coincidence: after writing a little bit yesterday about an article detailing, very convincingly, the therapeutic benefits of walking, which I've always been sort of aware of but never quite able to articulate, today I find myself writing about a tasty post on Open Culture alluding to the therapeutic benefits of listening to music, specifically of the ambient variety, which, again, I've always sort of known but never quite made concrete to myself, if you know what I mean.

So the weird stuff I discovered as a teen has been doing me good, despite the efforts of so many of the great and good to get me to turn it down. (Got to confess, though, when I first heard Fripp and Eno's Evening Star, which I picked up free as a review copy for a university newspaper, I seriously wondered at first what my two heroes were up to. Now I know. (Inventing ambient music as well as blowing easing my mind.)) (The version I link to above is not, of course, the one essayed by the Frippster and his chum. But it stands as evidence, if it were needed, of the genius of the original. Listen, and be healed.)

No comments: