Wednesday, July 3, 2019

A Bit Of A Pain

It's a bit iffy to say this, but there's something horribly fascinating about pain when one is in it - assuming, that is, that the pain is this side of bearable. That's the case with mine, at present, and I'm selfishly consumed with monitoring it. The thing about sciatica, or the version of it I've got at the moment, is that the pain involved shifts around and you can experience startling changes in the mobility of various chunks of the body in the space of a few hours. Case in point: on Monday I had no problem sitting in a lowish chair for as long as I needed, though higher seats were out, causing a viciously aching upper left leg in less than a minute. Now sitting down for any length of time beyond three minutes is generally impossible. Another example: for two weeks before my Saturday crisis I could barely bend forward at the waist at all. (Bending in the standing position for Prayers, for example.) Now I can bend forward with almost complete freedom, despite being in a general mess in other ways.

I feel sorry for colleagues who compassionately ask me how I'm feeling. If they're really unlucky I tell them in detail, at length, fascinated as I am by my own body betraying me. A real pain for those poor souls, I'm afraid.

No comments: