Sunday, December 31, 2023

Being Here

As the year stumbles to its conclusion, I stumble to my own conclusion that it's good to be here. Something not to be taken for granted. And something that looked, frankly, unlikely, when the first tentative steps for the renewal of my employment pass were made back in July.

To cut a long story short - which Mum always said she would do and never did - we spent late July, August, September, October and early November in a state of dire uncertainty as to whether the government of this Far Place would countenance my further employment in their nation in 2024. In fact, I was turned down for an employment pass in November - but was given an S Pass (the sort of next best thing) for one year just before the end of the school year.

So, lucky. Very. And here. For now, anyway.

No comments: