Saturday, August 19, 2023

Enthusiasms

Spent the early afternoon at a zoom gathering as part of the Annual Literature Seminar run by MOE and had a fine old time. Listening to very bright students do their thing on texts they are obviously very into is life-enhancing, to say the least. And the great thing is that these days so many of the presentations go way off track in relation to the Lit canon, which means I get to hear about stuff I'm not familiar with at all. I must admit, at times I'm not entirely convinced of the literary quality involved, but what more than makes up for that is the way the kids are obviously convinced of the worth of what they are reading (or viewing), which is what counts.

The funny thing is that at the end of it all I was thinking vaguely patronising thoughts about how wonderful it must be to be young and excited about books when it struck me that I'm still more than capable of feeling the same level of excitement over a hot text as I was when I was sixteen or so. There's part of me that's never really grown up, which is embarrassing and thrilling in roughly equal proportions.

No comments: