Saturday, May 4, 2019

Glimpses

Listened to a fair few bits and pieces from Britten's The Prince of the Pagodas in between marking essays. Since the ballet breaks up nicely into bite-sized bits, many around two to three minutes in length, this worked well as a mode of listening. Indeed, I don't think I've ever listened quite so closely to the individual pieces of the suite before, usually getting lost in the box of delights on offer when I've listened at length, despite my general familiarity. Brilliant orchestration, among other outstanding features.

Realised that there's just loads of Britten I've never managed to sit down and listen to. Excited by the possibilities in future when I finally get a chance to apply myself to sustained appreciation. Funnily enough, this helps me mark with a reasonable level of cheerfulness - being able to glimpse horizons and associated territories beyond, I suppose.

No comments: