Tuesday, May 7, 2019

At The Limit

2 Ramadhan, 1440

I got home reasonably early in the afternoon, before 4.00 pm, intending to continue on-going marking. There really wasn't any reason for me not to get on with work, and I had and have plenty of work to be getting on with, yet I just couldn't do so. Having completed prayers I crashed out big-time, surfacing only an hour and a half later. It felt inevitable, as if nothing was going to keep me awake.

I pride myself as being someone who can keep going when others simply cannot. It's useful to know with certainty just how deluded I am regarding this false picture of myself. The holy month is a wonderful time for painful self-examination. It provides an unrelentingly truthful mirror at which to gaze at one's frailties, one's essential sad limitations.

No comments: