Monday, June 1, 2015

Some Like It Hot

Reminded myself earlier today, it being the first of the month, of Clare's wonderful celebration of nature's flowering in the June section of The Shepherd's Calendar. In fact, he opens with an image of the month as a single glorious flower: Now summer is in flower and natures hum / Is never silent round her sultry bloom / Insects as small as dust are never done / Wi' glittering dance and reeling in the sun. Lovely.

We don't get summer in this Far Place. We just get more heat than usual and lots of it. But that suits my reptilian blood. And for all I enjoyed a Clare-ish summer in days gone by, I'm happy to swop those irritating clouds of insects for a perpetually damp shirt.

Can't wait to stop working and enjoy the world and its heat out there. Coming soon, I hope. 

No comments: