Sunday, September 25, 2011

Not So Robotic

I forgot to mention the other day that when I bought that little cache of CDs at 331 wherever it was I also made purchase of a tasty little comic book by one Sonny Liew entitled rather fetchingly, if inexplicably, Malinky Robot. I picked this up at a distinctly funky little book shop near HMV, I think called Harris Books(?) Anyway, it was full of the kind of stuff that all teenagers should read simply to upset their parents, assuming the parents are paying any attention, that is.

Mr Liew, it transpires, is local to this island, though you wouldn't think so given the depth and quirkiness of his imagination. (I suppose there should have been a Stereotyping Alert on that last sentence, but I'll let it stand in its sadly jaundiced original form.) He's a fabulous draughtsman and (possibly) a fine story-teller. I need to qualify the latter judgement as we don't get quite enough story (yet? - I hope there's more to come!) to be sure. I certainly found myself touched by his characters and troubled by his vision of our world, as it might be, if that's what he had in mind.

No comments: