Monday, September 19, 2011

Bragging Rights

I was thinking today of Dylan's mordantly wise lines in Foot of Pride: You know what they say about bein' nice to the right people on the way up / Sooner or later you gonna meet them comin' down. Yes, no success will last forever, so I suppose it's sensible not to make too much of it. But then, since you're doomed to slip from the pinnacle eventually, doesn't it make sense to make the most of being there?

It's with this lesser but more immediate wisdom in mind that I celebrate here the Mighty Reds' recent triumphs and the treading of their erstwhile rivals into the dust. True Champions, eh!! Best start to a season in a gazillion years. North London quakes. Merseyside shivers. Tyneside trembles. (Not that they count anymore.) The noisy neighbours will soon get theirs - again.

The funny thing is that the guys I teach fall silent when I ask them who they support. Sheer embarrassment, I guess.

No comments: