Friday, September 2, 2011

The Horror Of It All

Today's a school holiday here and I am spending it at work, sort of teaching. I say this not at all in a spirit of complaint because I'm overseeing our annual Drama Camp and it's a thoroughly worthwhile activity to sacrifice time for, being that rare beast here, a school event that is genuinely educational. I, for one, learn a lot.

The theme this year is 'horror' and late last night we watched my DVD version of Sweeney Todd, the one showing the original Broadway production, with Angela Lansbury. My drama guys applauded spontaneously at the end. Theatricality at its best (the show, not my guys, though they do come close on occasion.)

My mind has been running on monsters lately. Look for them and they're everywhere, as Mr T would no doubt verify.

3 comments:

R said...

Hi sir - I was wondering if I could borrow that DVD sometime? I love Sweeney Todd, but I've only seen the Tim Burton film version. I wasn't aware there was a recording of the '79 Broadway run.

Brian Connor said...

Very welcome, Rei. You can pick it up from me during the Prelims. Let me know which day to bring it in.

I think it's better than the Tim Burton by a long way, and I liked the Tim Burton version. That's how good it is.

R said...

The day of my last paper - Monday the 26th then. Shall enjoy it as a post-prelim reprieve. Thanks very much sir!