Friday, March 31, 2023

In Space

9 Ramadhan, 1444 

I had enough wriggle room at work to set off reasonably early to the masjid for Friday Prayers. Last week the mosque was already crowded when I arrived and I was lucky to find space in one of the small classrooms on the upper level - but it felt a bit odd doing the prayer in there.

This week I beat the crowd, though I still had to go to the upper level since the organisers seem to have adopted a system of cordoning off various areas in order to ensure the gradual filling-up of key spaces. I preferred the old days of a 'free market' in terms of where you could go but can understand the need to ensure the sensible use of space when the place gets crowded - as it undoubtedly will throughout the fasting month.

It's interesting how quickly things have gone back to normal in the post-pandemic period, reflecting, I suspect, a yearning to restore the old, tried, traditional ways of doing things. Must say, I'm just happy to have the space, the time, and the peace to connect with That which lies beyond all space all time and our compromised version of the ultimate peace.

No comments: