Tuesday, March 28, 2023

A Matter Of Habit

6 Ramadhan, 1444 

Fasting is beginning to feel normal. But old habits die hard - which is one of the great lessons of Ramadhan. 

Around 11.00 this morning things suddenly stopped being incredibly busy at work for the first time since this year's fast began. Very nice. I had something like an hour in which I could afford to do something close to nothing. At the very moment I realised just how free I could afford to be my brain conjured up a picture of myself down in the SAC, a cup of tea in front of me, staring out at the greenery thinking deeply zen-nish thoughts about nothing at all.

It took a good 3 seconds or so to realise I was deluding myself, and, trust me, I felt the pain that came with the realisation. And then it was back to the new normal, lesson learnt (again.)

No comments: