Saturday, November 19, 2022

The Big Freeze

Spent the better part of two hours in the late afternoon attending a briefing at which I was seated directly beneath the vent for one of the air-conditioning units blowing impressive amounts of cold air directly at me. This was a very uncomfortable experience which made me wonder why people in this part of the world so often seem to think it's a good idea to compensate for a warm climate by creating conditions indoors as close to freezing as possible. Of course, one can look forward to escaping into the sultry outdoors at some point, but even then it takes a good quarter of an hour to get rid of the shakes as one adjusts to normal conditions.

I've got a feeling it costs a lot of money to maintain the big freeze that seems the default option for so many interiors. But I don't hear other voices raised in protest at the waste involved - so it could be that I'm wrong on this one and making ourselves tremble with cold is reasonably cost effective. But that doesn't make it rational. 

No comments: