Monday, November 14, 2022

Something To Add

When I was commenting on my reservations regarding Qatar's hosting of the World Cup yesterday I was uneasily aware of oversimplifying a complex situation. That doesn't mean I think my reservations are misplaced, but there's always more to learn, more stories to listen to, more perspectives to be aware of. An informative piece by Patrick Wintour in today's Graun did a pretty good job of trying to be reasonably even-handed in its treatment of the on-going story and at least helped the reader see how the emirate sees itself in relation to the western world. It was especially interesting to read of the Arab world's keen awareness of the West's hypocrisy in its criticism of the treatment of migrant workers set against Europe's often callous treatment of migrants. Ouch.

No comments: