Saturday, January 2, 2021

Killer, Really

There's a healthy abundance of live Van der Graaf Generator on YouTube I'm happy to say. Trawling through some of it today I came across a performance from 2005 of Killer, with Jaxon still in the band. Needless to say it's sensational, not least due to Jaxon's contribution both to the beefy riff that powers the song and a wonderfully manic solo. Hugh Banton also excels with lots of subtle variations on the keys from the original. Peter Hammill is inspiringly his emo self, and Guy Evans proves yet again to be up there with the greats, lending both incredible propulsive drive to one of the most driven of all VdGG pieces and a sense of drama.

I saw VdGG perform Killer live way back in the early 70s and I know they did it justice, but I can't recall any real detail from that concert. I have much to be thankful for in being able to so easily access the later work of the band.

No comments: