Tuesday, January 26, 2021

All A Bit Silly

One of the peculiarities of recent times has been the surrender of reasonably sane individuals to the world of 'management-speak' - targets, tools, outcomes, etc, etc. From what I can gather this is true of pretty much every profession everywhere in what passes for the developed world, making the situation all the more humorously tragic. I suspect that a number of the palpable idiocies of what passes as the management of football clubs grow out of this disease.(Newcastle, Chelsea, I'm looking at you.)

Today I was reading some introductory paragraphs on a 'tool' I am expected to employ in my business. For some reason I decided to pay real attention to the blather and was struck by just how nonsensical it all was. The very first sentence informed me that the activity involved was 'essential' to my development. I can assure you that not only is this not the case, but if I were to read the sentence out loud to my colleagues with a knowing smirk they would most likely start laughing at the palpable absurdity of the claim.

I might just try that tomorrow.

No comments: