Saturday, January 9, 2021

Getting Unstuck

As I've found so often in the past, the start of a working year has involved an abrupt cessation to my general reading. After burbling on towards the end of December regarding my relish for TH's Tales from Ovid I've only read a couple more of the tales, and not much more than that in any of the other books I've got on the go at the moment. I suppose this relates in part to the fact that on the fiction front I'm currently engaged in collections of short stories - a wide-ranging selection of Kipling's stuff in a rather handsome Penguin paperback taking its title from one of his best, The Man Who Would Be King, and a similarly handsome selection from the work of H.P. Lovecraft, The Call of Cthulu and other Weird Stories. They're both good reads, but easy to put down; a bit like boxes of really rich chocolates - easy to spin out.

I'm now endeavouring to get myself going again, and have had my head stuck in the TH Collected Poems to that effect. And I'm now off to peruse Kipling's memorably titled Dray Wara Yow Dee, which I've never read before. A bit of novelty always helps.

No comments: