Tuesday, August 13, 2024

What Matters

Andrew Marr's A History of Modern Britain throws up fascinating stuff on every page. The segment on British theatre in the 1950s was enthralling and enlightening in equal degrees. It was good to see his appreciation of the popular theatre as well as the more 'worthy' variety.

Must say, I thought I knew a bit about Joan Littlewood's Theatre Workshop simply from my appreciation of Oh! What A Lovely War! (At one time I owned the soundtrack on vinyl.) But I didn't quite grasp the scope and revolutionary nature (in all senses) of the work she was behind. Marr's point that the real driving force in a nation's theatre is often provided by the producers and entrepreneurs, the people who shape the institutions, discover the plays, coax the companies, is particularly well made and down to earth.

This is history that feels like it matters.

No comments: