Monday, August 19, 2024

Music In Mind

I was reading a review today in The Straits Times of Saturday's concert, an appropriately favourable one, which finished with a reference to one of Borodin's melodies being used for Stranger in Paradise. Instantly the song was lodged in my head, playing on a loop, remaining there for a good two hours. And I mean 'good' since it felt great to revisit the piece, if only in my mind.

It also served to temporarily dislodge three or four ear-worms that have been haunting me for  two weeks now from various tracks on Springsteen's Magic. I gave the CD thereof a spin after reading something on a chat group about how badly produced it was whilst being the last of the great Springsteen albums. I didn't particularly agree with either sentiment, by the way, in that I can think of at least one wholly wonderful album that came later in the day and I'd never noticed anything particularly off about the production. 

But getting really close up to it again I had to admit that the sound does sound a tad overly compressed. I'm not sure there's enough room for the various strands of sound to really breathe, especially the keyboards. Be that as it may, there are a lot of great songs on there and, like I said, I just can't get several bits out of my head. Mind you, it certainly helps the time pass when invigilating examinations.

No comments: