Saturday, November 4, 2023

On Top

It occurred to me today that I've not read all that widely in the work of Margaret Atwood, four novels, a few essays and occasional poems in anthologies and set for exams as 'unseens', but everything I've read has been excellent. This reflection was brought on by the fact I'm reading her latest book of poems, entitled Dearly, and that it's proving expectedly excellent. I received it as a gift from a student for Teachers' Day and dipped into its pages immediately, instantly unearthing a couple of gems. Now I'm going cover to cover and, to be honest, it's impressing me a lot more than Robert Lowell's 1961 collection Imitations, which I've just struggled to the end of in the Collected.

I suspect I'd feel a lot more at home in an Atwood Collected or Selected.

No comments: