Sunday, November 12, 2023

A Bit More Diversity

In the interests of full disclosure I thought I'd follow-up yesterday's post on my current reading with something related to my current listening. This is what made it to the turntable in our household over the weekend, in the order the CDs got played in: Radiohead - In Rainbows; RVW - Sancta Civitas; Radiohead - Kid A; Richard Hawley - Coles Corner; King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King.

It's not a lot, is it? But that can be accounted for the fact that these days I rarely, if ever, play music as 'background'. I can't work along to it, and I can't read to it. I now need to give whatever I'm listening to my full, undivided attention. Multi-tasking is not my thing. Indeed, I strongly suspect it can't really be done and dilutes one's experience of whatever 'tasks' are involved - except listening to YouTube talks when shaving, and Stevie Wonder et al when working out.

Interestingly, at least from my perspective, today was the first time I really 'got' Kid A from start to finish, enjoying the actual programming of the CD. It's taken some 20 years to get there, but nice to eventually arrive. Similarly today was the first time ever I really tuned in to the dynamics of the improv section of Moonchild on ITCOTCK. That's taken more than 50 years to manage, though for many years I skipped the section through what I thought was judicious fast-forwarding. What was I thinking!!

No comments: