Saturday, November 11, 2023

A Bit Of Diversity

My reading has become a bit undisciplined of late. For a long time I'm been restricting myself in broad terms to one main book, usually a novel, and poetry on the side in the form of a cover to cover reading of a chunky collected from someone or other. There have been, of course, embellishments here and there, like an extra work of non-fiction that proved irresistible, or a thinnish poetry collection. Oh, and there's been stuff I've had to read for work, but that doesn't count.

But of late my discipline has really broken down such that I'm now reading no fewer than four tomes, with not one being a novel, meaning that a bit of fiction will inevitably be added, probably in the week ahead. Must say, I'm struck by the oddness of the list of four, a sign of a happily eclectic mind, from one point of view, or someone who's just very peculiar from another. So here it is, not in any order of merit: Robert Lowell's Collected Poems; A Treasury of Hadith - A Commentary on Nawawi's Selection of Forty Prophetic Traditions by Ibn Daqiq al'Id; A History of Russian Theatre, edited by Robert Leach and Victor Borovsky; and Gary Larson's The Pre-History of The Far Side - A 10th Anniversary Exhibit.

As you might guess, only the last one of these makes me laugh, but it does so immoderately, so there's some balance there, I suppose.

No comments: