Wednesday, November 1, 2023

In The Dark

As I made brief reference to yesterday, I'm sort of trying to avoid what's in the news, but at the same time feel compelled to get some sense of what's happening in Gaza and the West Bank. The fact that what's happening isn't good and isn't likely to result in any kind of positive outcome relates to my desire to avoid learning too much. But learning of the facts in themselves is a kind of moral compulsion.

I suppose something similar is true in relation to learning what took place at the heart of government in the UK in the early months of the pandemic. Except that following the covid inquiry feels akin to watching farce, in contrast to the utter tragedy of events in Israel. But then I recall the staggering death toll brought about by the staggering ineptitude of Johnson's government, and the darkness descends.

No comments: