Sunday, February 19, 2023

Top Draw

I'd intended to draw out my reading of Alice Munro's The Beggar Maid since I was enjoying it so much. But I couldn't stop myself from reading the second half of the collection today and finishing all ten stories by the evening. 

To be honest I thought the stories dealing with Rose's marriage and love life in the second half of the volume lacked the verve of the earlier stories dealing largely with her childhood in Hanratty, but Munro was still fascinating on the messiness of her relationships - and fascinating on how the life of an individual can encompass so many changes related to their socio-economic background. And the final two stories, returning to Flo and the past, though dealing with Rose's present, were triumphant in their rightness as a conclusion to the whole. 

No surprise she won the Nobel.

No comments: