Tuesday, May 17, 2022

On The Outside

For many of the years I've lived in this Far Place I paid little or no attention to news coming out of my homeland. I remember visiting the UK during that period, watching the news on the telly there and reading the papers and feeling I'd come to a foreign land - and a strangely inward-looking, parochial land at that.

I suppose things began to change once I had regular access to the BBC news, and then Sky news - followed by checking the online news quite obsessively once I'd been forced to buy a smart phone. (I was a spectacularly late adopter.) Now I know plenty about what's going on, and wish I didn't. And it still seems weirdly parochial, but in a sinister fashion.

I'll resist writing anything about the current government there, at least for now. I'd rather go to bed not feeling angry, or sad, thank you.

No comments: