Sunday, May 1, 2022

A Question Of Patience

29 Ramadhan, 1443

Hot off the presses: they've declared Eid for tomorrow in Malaysia, taking the Muslim population there by surprise. I suppose there are those delighted to 'lose' a day of fasting, but I suspect most will feel they could have done without the need to prepare for the big day in an unseemly hurry. We're more than happy to wait patiently for another day. In fact, I suspect if there had been a similar announcement here I would have felt cheated in some sense.

Over quite a number of years of observing the fast I have managed to develop a degree of patience that otherwise would have been beyond my grasp. I see it as necessary patience. Without it I simply would not have been able to cope with the demands of the Holy Month. And I am deeply grateful to have had it forced upon me.

Strange how out of fashion patience is in these times when it's possibly the most useful of all the virtues. 

No comments: