Saturday, March 5, 2022

Various Mysteries

Picked up a copy of Agatha Christie's The Murder of Roger Ackroyd from the library at work last week. Now halfway through and admiring the writer's craft. Sadly I know who did it having read the novel in my teens, so I'm not exactly in suspense. Hence there's only the craft left to draw this reader in - though I suppose there's an odd sort of entertainment value in Christie's assumptions regarding the English social hierarchy.

And, coincidentally, I've just borrowed another 'mystery' from niece Zahira. She was so sure of the brilliance of Five Total Strangers (according to the words on the cover: She never should have accepted that ride...) that I felt compelled to give it a go. Funnily enough I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm going to get more genuinely involved in this Young Adult novel than might be expected of a Very Old Adult. Certainly hope so. I'm a sucker for a well-told tale.

No comments: