Thursday, March 10, 2022

Le Mot Juste

Chanced upon the expression pity-fishing in the course of my reading today, and was mighty glad I did. I instantly recognised something I used to be extremely prone to, and still struggle to keep under control. A bit of googling just now led me to sadfishing, which is almost as good, and in Joycean style eschews the hyphen, adding to its expressiveness. 

Oddly enough I happened to be exposed to a particularly striking example of the phenomenon underlying both expressions this evening in relation to something going on In Real Life (as I believe people say, in these days of 'mixed reality'.) It's not pretty, is it?

Here's a thought, though not a terribly deep one. Is naming the thing a useful way of growing beyond it? (Nice to think so, but I doubt it. A bit like claiming that reading 'literature' makes you a better person.)

No comments: