Sunday, March 6, 2022

A Drawback

The Missus filled me in on the big insect I encountered last Friday afternoon, explaining that she'd read my post about the occasion. It's the local version of a grasshopper, which I'd sort of guessed at the time. Indeed, Zahira said the same yesterday when I showed her the pictures of the fellow on my phone. But Zahira didn't go into the details of the edibility of grasshoppers. It seems they're a common delicacy, fried, in Thailand, according to Noi, who knows these things. I think I also knew this, but had chosen to forget.

It's a bit sad, I suppose, to think of someone munching on a creature that seems so completely right in its existence, if you see what I mean. But, of course, it's devastatingly hypocritical of a meat-eater like myself to even mention such a reservation. The problem of seeing the particular is the way it undercuts everything that's general about one's behaviour.

No comments: