Friday, March 4, 2022

Even More Particular

I set myself a sort of exercise in observation today. I intended to take note of three 'particulars' in the course of the working day, these being defined by myself as observations of distinct aspects of the world as it presented itself to me of which I had never consciously taken note before.

I'm afraid the exercise proved a disheartening failure up to roughly 4.00 pm. From the workday's commencement at 6.30 am to that time I had nothing of genuine note to record. I'm just a hopeless observer, I'm afraid. And then came the moment of breakthrough.

There I was on the corridor leading to the office where I intended to drop off some keys before wending my weary way to the staffroom when I bumped into the fellow pictured below:




The day was happily transformed by the encounter, though, to be honest, I wasn't at all sure what exactly I was encountering.

The funny thing is that I was so taken by the moment that, having walked all the way to the staffroom considering my good fortune, I completely forgot to drop off the keys and had to wearily trudge back to the corridor to do so. By that time my companion of that brief, highly particular moment had gone off, possibly to avoid any further dealings with the big, ugly creature who'd stooped to record the occasion.

No comments: