Thursday, November 5, 2020

Painful Symmetry

I've been struggling to deal with high levels of discomfort in my right arm - the upper portion - for quite a while now. Marking, both the on-line variety and the pen-in-hand version, isn't easy. But it can be done, which is a small mercy. And it doesn't seem to make things worse - though not assisting in any kind of recovery either. Unfortunately early today, around eleven o'clock, a muscle in my left side, situated around the hip, decided it was time to remind me of its existence by generating a level of discomfort equal, if not greater, than that in my right arm. I felt oddly balanced in terms of the aching diagonal my body seemed to be rotating around for the rest of the day.

The great temptation at times like this is to wallow in self-pity and look at life, the universe and everything in a thoroughly jaundiced way, and I've allowed myself a reasonably deep wallow or two in the course of the day. But the more sensible option, as we all know, is to just get on with things and seek to do what needs to be done, enjoying the small triumph of getting through it all. I'm trying to do that now. Not sure I'm completely succeeding, of course, but I think I'm avoiding accessing the worst of myself, at least for now.

No comments: